Degrees and Education
- 2003 University of St Andrews PhD Marine Mammal Science. The causes and consequences of variation in energy expenditure of grey seals.
- 1996 University of Aberdeen BSc (Hons) Zoology (Marine Biology) First Class.
15 years’ experience as marine mammal scientist and 7 years of experience in applied science consultancy working with both industry and government clients. A wide range of practical, analytical and management skills developed through involvement with numerous projects. Technical lead on numerous projects considering the impact of renewable energy developments on marine mammals.
- Marine mammal EIA and technical advisor for several offshore wind developments in UK waters, e.g. Seagreen Firth of Forth Round Three site, Inch Cape offshore wind farm, Neart na Goithe offshore wind farm; Triton Knoll R2 Offshore wind farm; Navitus Bay offshore wind farm and specialist technical advice and cumulative impact assessment services to the Forth and Tay Offshore Wind Developers Group.
- Project manager and technical lead for marine mammal monitoring for Marine Current Turbine’s (MCT) SeaGen tidal turbine projects at Strangford Lough and The Anglesey Skerries Array. Developing novel, robust approaches for monitoring marine mammals around renewable energy devices. Expert marine mammal specialist on associated Science groups for these two projects (group includes Regulator, developer and independent expert scientists and is designed to progress post consent environmental monitoring and mitigation and deal with the discharge of licence conditions).
- Analysis of marine mammal baseline survey data for Scottish Power Renewables Sound of Islay Project.Lead scientific advisor to Tidal Energy Ltd. Developing robust, proportionate and appropriate mitigation and monitoring programme for marine mammals in relation to the DeltaStream Demonstrator Project in Ramsey Sound, Pembrokeshire. This involves working very closely with the developer, the Marine Consent Unit of the Welsh Government and their Statutory Nature Advisers (CCW) to ensure that the monitoring meets the requirements of the consent conditions.
- Member of Scottish Renewables Marine Work Group.
- Lead scientist on government guidance projects: SNH Wet renewable monitoring guidance for seals 2011; DEFRA/MMO funded review of monitoring of Post Consent Monitoring for marine mammals at offshore wind farms.
- Lead marine mammal expert on Offshore Renewables Joint Industry Project 4, Phase 1: Use of Deterrent Devices and Improvements to Standard Mitigation during Piling for Offshore wind farm development.