Junior Scientist (NA)
Jessica is a Junior Scientist for various projects at SMRU Consulting. A University of Washington graduate, she received her Bachelor of Science in Biology with a focus in Evolution, Ecology and Conservation in 2009. Jessica has over 5 years’ experience studying Large Pelagic species, both acoustically and through aerial and vessel-based photo analysis. Assisting large projects involving endangered species, documenting, and reporting on use of marine habitat, and impacts of marine development. Includes assistance on reporting and research paper submissions.
- Rankin, S., Castellote, M., Delarue, J., Stafford, K.M., Archer, F.I., Koot, B., Richlen, M., Thompson, J., Ford, J.K.B., Williams, R., (2018). Methods for characterizing fin whale song notes for comparative studies of geographic variation in song. NOAA technical memorandum NMFS ; NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC ; 592. [https://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/17737]
- Leiter, S.M., Stone, K.M., Thompson, J.L., Accardo, C.M., Wikgren, B.C., Zani, M.A., Cole, T.V.N., Kenney, R.D., Mayo, C.A., Kraus, S.D., (2017). North Atlantic right whale Eubalaena glacialis occurrence in offshore wind energy areas near Massachusetts and Rhode Island, USA. Endangered Species Research. 34, 45-59.
- Stone, K.M., Leiter, S.M., Kenney, R.D., Wikgren, B.C., Thompson, J.L., Taylor, J.K.D., Kraus, S.D., (2017). Distribution and abundance of cetaceans in a wind energy development area offshore of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Springer. 21(4), 527-543.
- Paranjpye, R., Myers, M., Yount, E., Thompson, J., (2013) Zebrafish as a model for Vibrio parahaemolyticus
virulence. Microbiology. 159: 2605-2615. 2013
- Thompson, J.L., Berchok, C.L., Clapham, P.J., Lammers, M.O., Moore, S.E., (2012). Spatio-temporal distribution of fin whales in the Bering Sea, 2007–2011. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 132(3), 1951-1951.
- Berchok, C.L., Crance, J.L., Thompson, J.L., Grassia, S.L., Clapham, P.J., Wright, D.L., Lammers, M.O., (2012). Right whale versus bowhead whale gunshot calls in the Bering Sea. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America.
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, ECHO Slowdown- Acoustic, AIS, CTD, meteorological data collection, management and QA/QC. Southern Resident killer whale acoustic detections.
- San Juan County, Protecting Southern Resident killer whale foraging hot spots – Field deployments, acoustic data collection, management and QA/QC. Southern Resident killer whale acoustic detections.
- Fundy Ocean Research Centre for Energy, Comparison of acoustic hardware for detecting harbor porpoise – Developed hand annotated click detection dataset to compare detection functions of different hardware.
- Fundy Ocean Research Centre for Energy, Comparison of surface vs bottom mounted acoustic hardware – Assisted in annotation of click detections to compare detection functions of acoustic hardware deployed in different locations.
+1 (360) 370-5493
PO Box 764 Friday Harbor, WA 98250